Kilian’s INTERVIEW July 12th, 2010
1. What is your full name, date of birth, hometown, current city, and skateboard sponsors? Kilian Martin Navarro, 7/28/1987, My Hometown is Madrid (Spain), and my current city is Alcorcon, situated in the south of Madrid. My sponsors are: Sk8kings, Vision Street Wear, and Stance skateshop (Madrid)
2. How does your Spanish heritage influence your skateboarding?
Spain has a great skateboarding culture right now, and it has one of the best skateboarding cities in the world, Barcelona. Skateboarding in Spain needs more economic support but other than that it’s a great place to skate and visit.
Why did you choose cinematographer Brett Novak to shoot your videos?
I met Brett Novak in a skate contest, and I found out how great a guy he was. I took a look at his awesome work in videos, and I was attracted to the idea of making a video with him. It worked out perfectly, and now we have plans to keep working together. Hopefully, we’ll get started in September.
What is your response to people who say that Freestyle is outdated?
I dont skate to follow others view of skateboarding. I skate to create. I skate because skating makes me happy, so if Free street Skateboarding keeps making me happy, I will keep doing it.
7. What aspects of gymnastics do you put into your skating and why?
The time I spent in gymnastics helped me to be a perfectionist. The idea of improvement is always on my mind, and I keep pushing hard to get better. I don’t push hard, skating a huge amount of hours. I think about skateboarding more than I skate, and I guess that it is where my improvement potential comes from. That is probably more a gymnast thing but it helps me a lot.
8. What skateboard team would you most want to be a member of?
I don’t have any preferences. I am on Sk8kings, and even knowing that it is not a huge company, I feel really comfortable with them. They have become great friends. I try not to get crazy about big sponsorships. Only time will tell.
9. What is your next move in the skateboarding world?
I just want to keep creating. I want to keep improving and keep having fun skating. I can’t wait to start a new video part.
10. Do you want to make a living skating or do you skateboard solely for your own enjoyment?
Of course, I would like to make a living doing what I like but as I just said I don’t want to get crazy about it. I am focused on my improvement and enjoyment. I really like to do demos and not just because of the economic prize.I like showing what skateboarding is .
11. Is there anyone you would like to thank?
I would like to thank my sponsors Sk8kings,Vision Street wear,Stance skateshop.
Anyone that appreciates skateboarding as an art expression.